Here’s a semi-complete list of the remaining obons on the Westcoast which are during July and August:
I should have posted this earlier, but better late than never.
– SF, Saturday, July 23rd – link for
– Pasadena, Sat/Sun, July 23rd/24th
– Alameda, Sat, July 23rd
– Berkeley, Sat/Sun, July 23rd/24th
– Vista, Sat/Sun, July 23rd/24th
– Parlier, Sat, July 23rd
– Denver, Sat, July 30th
– WLA, Sat/Sun, July 30/31st
– Las Vegas, Sat, August 6th
– San Diego, Sat, August 6th
– Palo Alto, Sat/Sun, August 6/7th
– Stockton, Sat/Sun, August 6/7th
– Gardena, Sat/Sun, August 13th/14th
– Little Tokyo, LA, Sun, August 21st
Picture is from the Venice obon.
They all vary, but aside from the bon odori (dancing), you’ll also typically find taiko, food, drinks, martial arts demonstrations, bingo (yes bingo!), games, etc.
#obon #bonodori #jtown #japantown#buddhist #buddhisttemple#japaneseamerican #nikkei